Thursday, November 26, 2009

Torchlight Endgame


Happy Thanksgiving!

We had our dinner yesterday and it wasn't the best day in the whole world, so I'm going to rant about Torchlight some more while you folks eat.

I've spent a lot of hours in the world of Torchlight and had more fun with a new game than I have in a very long time. I've completed the main dungeon and defeated the final boss with my Destroyer character and I've started playing around in the infinite dungeon, about 10 floors worth. I've decided that the Torchlight endgame is still fairly weak.

I'm only at level 50 and playing is starting to feel kind of bland. I've tried some mods to remove the caps and add some new equipment, but the game still doesn't really have enough life to it.

Hopefully there will be some kind of official expansion in the future, or at least some quality fan content. I'd love to see totally new dungeons, environments, monsters and quests. And not just new layouts for the existing areas. They're already randomized, and I can't imagine someone redesigning the dwarven ruins or lava schemes in such a way that I'd feel excited to play them for the 40th time.

The game really needs a ton of new equipment because that's what really keeps me coming back to this sort of game... cool stuff. I keep finding special rare gear but then I look and 90% of it is more suited for lower level characters. It's also irritating that you find most of the best items from the gambler merchant in town rather than by killing enemies and searching dungeons like a good adventurer. How'd the gambler get these incredible and impossible items.

Even after you completed the main game in Diablo II, you always wanted to keep going back to see how great you could make your character. Not that I ever reached the crazy state of fighting the same bosses online countless times hoping to beat the other players to some item that had a 1 in 1000 chance of dropping or some nonsense. But I feel like in Torchlight, the total number of possible items is small enough that I don't really have any chance of finding something that most of the other players don't already possess.

It's definitely a recommended game. You get a lot of hours of play for your $20 bucks and there are three character classes. I'll eventually have to get around to trying the other two.

My plan originally was to go back and replay Diablo II, but it seems that Blizzard is being somewhat unreasonable with the price, even all these years later.

Instead, I remembered that I had purchased Titan Quest and its expansion a couple of years back and never got very far. Now I'm starting to remember why. The controls are kind of clunky, you can hardly carry anything and have to go back to town all the time to sell, the voice acting is really weak to the point where I had to turn it off, and the setting leaves a lot to be desired. Still, I'll try to stick with it for a little while longer and hope that it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment